A course for teachers and instructors who teach in English Medium universities and schools.
Content and Language Integrated LearnIng (CLIL)?
The aim of CLIL is to further learning of both subject content and language development. The (lecturer, instructor, teacher) takes responsibility for both content and language by using strategies to assist learners’ understanding. This course is for anyone who teaches a curriculum subject (such as Business, Management, Science, History, Mathematics etc) in English to learners who are non-native English speakers.
The course introduces practical strategies the teacher / instructor can use to address learners’ language problems and support learners with their learning. These strategies include:
• Learner centred approaches that involve tasks, discussion and reflection.
• Lesson planning and lesson observation and feedback to provide clear structuring, use of visual and textual support, and promote variety of interaction and peer support.
• Strategies for scaffolding concepts and checking understanding
• Grading language to the learners’ language level.
• Appropriate use of L1.
• 6 weeks part-time / or intensive options available.
What does It Involve?
• Face-to-face input sessions in which you will learn CLIL strategies, techniques and activities and how these can be applied in academic settings presented by an experienced trainer familiar with EAP and Turkish contexts
• Teaching Practice in which you will get the chance to practise some of the things you learn on the course with your own students.
• Feedback sessions in which you reflect on and evaluate your lesson with an experienced tutor.
• Lesson planning in which you prepare a lecture / lesson under the professional supervision of your tutor.
• Online tasks in which you will get further input to that already done face-to-face.
• Background reading to help you learn more about teaching CLIL.
How long does It last?
• 18 hours face-to-face
• Plus three ‘Live’ observations (including supervised preparation and feedback)
What are the entry requIrements?
• Minimum language level B2 or above
• Needs to be employed at an institution of Higher Education or school and have access to their own class of learners